Werner Meier verstärkt Financial Restructuring- und Financial Institutions-Team von King & Spalding
Dr. Werner Meier, one of the leading restructuring lawyers in Europe, has joined King & Spalding. His practice concentrates heavily on financial institutions, spanning German and international restructuring, financing and capital markets transactions. Dr. Meier brings to the firm more than 22 years of experience in European debt and corporate restructurings as well as syndicated loans, securitizations, and other structured finance and high-yield transactions. Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, European Legal 500, Legal 500 Deutschland and JUVE all distinguish him as a leading finance and restructuring lawyer.
Dr. Meier has joined the firm as Head of Restructuring Europe. His arrival strengthens the firm’s active financial restructuring practice in Europe while also enhancing the firm’s financial institutions practice in our expanding Frankfurt office and in other European markets, particularly in London.
Dr. Meier’s Representative Experience
• Advised the Hellenic Republic on its €206 billion sovereign debt restructuring, the largest restructuring transaction in history
• Advised six investors in connection with the €4.2 billion debt and corporate restructuring of IVG Group
• Advised Goldman Sachs International in connection with the debt and corporate restructuring of A.T.U. Group
• Advised Texas Pacific Group (TPG), SilverPoint, Strategic Value Partners, Triton and Perry Capital in connection with the CHF2.5 billion debt and corporate restructuring of Swiss industrial group OC Oerlikon
• Advised the steering committee of senior lenders (led by Morgan Stanley and BlueBay) in connection with the debt and corporate restructuring of Kiekert Group; also advised the shareholders/lenders in connection with a second-round restructuring and a subsequent sale of the group
• Advised Morgan Stanley in connection with the debt and corporate restructuring of Rinol Group
• Advised Morgan Stanley in connection with the debt and corporate restructuring of Nordex Group
• Advised Goldman Sachs International as lender in connection with a €3.6 billion financing secured by properties leased to department store chain KarstadtQuelle (later renamed Arcandor), as well as various restructurings thereof
• Advised the German Savings Bank Association with respect to back-to-back guarantees issued by the Federal Republic of Germany for a €50 billion bailout package for Hypo Real Estate Group
• Advised a German DAX corporation as borrower under syndicated credit facilities of €800 million, €700 million and €800 million, respectively, in the refinancing of various loan agreements in the aggregate principal amount of $2 billion, in respect of a $1.3 billion cross-currency swap, and in connection with a €6 billion debt issuance program
• Advised Goodyear as borrower/seller under various pan-European and German lending, securitization and factoring transactions and the establishment of a European cash pool
• Advised First Reserve in connection with the financing of its £906.2 million acquisition of Abbot Group
• Advised Citigroup as arranger, lender and agent in connection with the £3.2 billion financing of the acquisition of EMI Group by Terra Firma
• Advised Henkel as borrower under a €2.6 billion financing for the acquisition of the adhesives and electronic materials businesses of Akzo Nobel
• Advised HypoVereinsbank in connection with GELDILUX, the first synthetic securitization transaction in history
Our Financial Institutions Practice
King & Spalding’s financial institutions practice comprises more than 100 lawyers across 17 offices globally. The team provides leading financial institutions worldwide with expertise in complex financings, private equity, fund formation, litigation, investigations, Islamic finance, real estate capital markets, financial restructuring, and tax and regulatory matters – all areas for which the firm and our lawyers are rated among the best in the world. King & Spalding counts among our clients 15 of the 25 largest banks in the world as well as 20 of the 25 largest banks in the U.S., including all of the top 10.
Our Financial Restructuring Practice
According to league tables published by The Deal, King & Spalding is regularly listed among the 10 most active bankruptcy law firms based on representations of debtors, creditors and other assignments in active bankruptcy cases. The firm advises on all facets of corporate reorganizations, in-court and out-of-court debt restructurings, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation and distressed M&A transactions. The firm is regularly retained in large bankruptcy matters and workouts to represent debtors, trustees, creditors’ committees, institutional lenders, other critical creditors and parties-in-interest, and potential acquirers of businesses and large assets. Our bankruptcy and restructuring practice covers all segments of the economy, with particular emphasis on healthcare, energy, real estate, retail, manufacturing, media and telecommunications.
About King & Spalding
Celebrating more than 125 years of service, King & Spalding is an international law firm that represents a broad array of clients, including half of the Fortune Global 100, with 800 lawyers in 17 offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The firm has handled matters in over 160 countries on six continents and is consistently recognized for the results it obtains, uncompromising commitment to quality and dedication to understanding the business and culture of its clients. More information is available at www.kslaw.com.